Saturday, May 4, 2019

A Question of Morality

A Question of Morality

        Should I take a life to save 29 others and risk my own prosecution, or should I allow all 30 people to die and save myself?  A position I wish on no other but also one that overlaps from ethics to religion to politics.  Realizing my ignorance, I consulted two of history’s greatest thinkers, Ayn Rand and W. T. Stace to help me sort out this mess. I asked them “[Given the situation], what is the morally correct thing to do?”

        Rand replied that because the situation is unique and beyond my control that I could choose either way and arguably still be a moral man.  But he continued by stating that even if I chose to act only in my own self-interest I would still be acting morally.  Suggesting that if I chose to allow all 30 people to die just to protect myself against prosecution at some later time, that I would be acting morally.  W. T. Stace agrees with Plato but only because morality is relative more than universal and as he states, “…some moral values are universal and apply to all individuals and cultures.” (Chaffee 419)  Ayn Rand says Altruistic Morality is noble but “…although it may be possible for humans to act in a way that sacrifices their own self-interest, it is immoral to do so.”(428)  Stace concluded the discussion by saying; “Moral right means what people think morally right.  It has no other meaning.” (421)

         When reflecting on our conversation, I began to understand what Stace was trying to suggest.  He made me think of the religious side of things by suggesting that regardless of the situation, the act is immoral and probably all the same in gods’ eye.  While Ayn rand really made me think that self-preservation is neither shameful nor immoral.  Rands’ perspective allows for an individual to make selfish choices without guilt.  We always seem to recognize, honor and award selfless acts.  As well as celebrate those who do them - sometimes even elevating them to hero status.  However we all know many successful people who have made many selfish decisions.  Choices that have served them well I might add.  But I doubt I could ever live with doing the act itself and would forever be filled with regret.  Possibly even be filled with regret regardless of the choice I make.  According to Stace it is all subjective and simply a matter of perspective.  Meaning each situation or decision has its own morally correct choice.

        Making a decision in this matter is an unbelievably hard thing to do, even after discussing it with some very intelligent philosophers.   Considering the fact that this is not my culture I don’t believe it is my place to make judgements on their morals, values and/or beliefs.  That said, I must also live by my own moral code as well as take into account the laws of land I call home.  It reminds me of the old cliché; when in Rome – do as the Romans do.  I cannot take that advice this time.  I do not believe I can take a person’s life with my own hand unless given proper reason.  I can find no such reason for me to be involved at all.  While I have been given this opportunity to be a part of this ceremony, I must respectfully decline the honor.  My choice is to allow the proceedings to continue as though I were not even there.  I must look past my involvement and realize that this sort of thing happens here all the time.  And that the people chosen on this day, at this time had nothing to do with me or my presence here and would likely have been chosen for execution anyway.  Even if I decided to try and save 29 lives by taking one, how long would it be before those 29 were again chosen to be executed?  These are the reasons I give to remove myself and allow things to unfold as they would without me.  It is best to observe and comprehend before either becoming involved or passing any judgements.  
 

















Works Cited Page

Chaffee, J. (2013). “The Philosopher’s Way: A text with readings”  5th Ed.  
City University of New York, Pearson

No comments:

Post a Comment